Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's a Guy Thing

Monday night I had a basketball game in a league I entered with some friends, so I got home after the kids were in bed. Macy was still up though, so we went downstairs and chatted for an hour or so. From the very beginning, Macy and I haven't had tons of common hobbies or other activities we both like doing together, so sitting around talking has always been the basic core of our relationship. That's perfect for me, because there's nothing I like more than good conversation, and she's always got some take on something that is completely new for me.

Anyway, we chatted for a while that night about everything- how my day had gone, and how her day had gone, planning for the holiday weekend, what the kids had been up to. But after all that, she never asked the one important question that was hanging in the air that night. Finally, we got up to go to bed, leaving that one topic still unspoken.

Before going to bed, I ran up to check in on Rex and Lucy. They are really bad at staying under blankets while they sleep, which is a constant frustration to me, so I always remake their beds with them sleeping in them, to get them sufficiently covered for when the night turns cold.



While I did this, Rex sort of yawned, and then opened his eyes. I sat down next to him and said hi. He blinked a few times and then said "Hey Dad. So did you guys win?"

"Yeah, we won."

"Good." And then he rolled over and went back to sleep.

Sometimes, it's nice to have another boy in the house.


6 comments:

Molly said...

Lol...That is the story of Randy's life.. I need to get Ike memorizing that exact question so he can be his dad's little cheerleader! That is really cute of Rex and so in character! He is such a crazy kid!

Anonymous said...

What a caring father/son relationship!

Andrea W. said...

This is one of the cutest exchanges ever. I love how dialed into you Rex is and then the whole sports thing for him, he's so amazingly focused and driven for one so young. So cute.

Jo said...

Oh Ry, what a great story! It says a lot!

Booyahka said...

Hey it's actually Nikki! I love your guys' stories about your kids and i just loved this one! I was actually telling Ali after we left your house how much I respect you both as parents and a couple and how I hope when Brock and I have kids that we can be like you guys!

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Wow, Nicki, that's nice of you to say, especially when you've seen us on vacation (parenting powers weaken away from home, you know).

Parenting is mostly about what you can learn from other people, some of it related to how to cut kids' bangs. So we owe a lot to you.