Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Working With Rex

Today Macy's doctor appointment went long, so I had to run up and pick up Rex from his soccer camp and bring him back to work with me. It's been a very busy day or me at work, as I've been trying to finish and file a brief with the Utah Supreme Court. Rex, of course, was oblivious to my own inscrutable stresses, and pleased as punch to be hanging around my office for the second time in a week.

I set him up with a legal pad and a pen on the other side of my desk, and he set right to work drawing what he draws- jets manned by Dark Vader and Luke, each of whom wields a light saber while handling his ship. That left me free to continue plugging away at my brief, even though I sort of felt like the bad dad in the movies that is so busy he can't even pay attention to his kid. Well, okay, I was that bad dad, but the movies never really show you how important the dad's work really is. Trust me, it's important.

Anyway, Rex was in such a good mood that he just kept on drawing his jets and jedis and kept up a constant stream of conversation while we both worked. He had countless things to say on countless subjects, and I didn't record most of them. But halfway through his stay, I started jotting them down verbatim as he said them. Here's the list I ended up with:


Looks like somebody needs to clean this office up.

Dad, does this building have a no pets sign like Curious George's building?

My legs are cold in here. But this chair is comforting my bottom.

(looking dreamily out the window)
Isn't Donald Duck Funny?

Is there a guy in the Incredibles named Honey-Dog?

I see why offices are so dirty. Because people need to read so much.

But now the city's cleaner because that building exploded.


Despite my grim and busy mood, I ended up sad to lose Rex when Macy came to pick him up. It's like we've always said about him-- Rex is a lot of good things, but most of all, he's good company.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a fun scene to read about. This is why I love working with kids.

Andrea W. said...

Cute, Ry. Rex is such an interesting combination of typical little boy and a much older wiser man.

Kate Brown said...

CUTE ReX! Back to the doctor's appt, when is this baby coming??

Ali said...

I can just hear he is curious tone in all of those comments...I love it! Especially..."you need to clean up around here" so great! He sure was on one today...I loved my voice message and phone conversation with him tonight!

Eliza said...

lol, I love when kids think out loud, or as josh says "talk out loud" : ) that is so cute, and yea what about this baby girl, when is it coming???

Mama Mia said...

Ryan I am laughing about the bad Dad comment! You and Rex are quite a duo!

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Hmmm. Ali got a voice mail, did she? Interesting.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

You wouldn't have liked the voice mail, Davis. He sort of went on a rant asking her when she's getting married. Is that something you're interested in, because I can line a call up for you too.

As for the baby, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to announce this, but the official date is Tuesday, August 28. There may be multiple bottles of castor oil consumed before then, but that's the official date of last resort.

Katharine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Macy said...

Yes, unless I go into labor, which happens never for me than it will have to be the 28th. Dr. JJ (kate, I love that you and Liz call him that) is out of town which is causing real problems for me. I am still here and counting......

Jo said...

LOL to all of Rex's comments! What a cute, fascinating little observer he is.

Love his quote of the week too! What's he thinking?

The Back Row Pew said...

I have to say that I love the photo at the baseball game. That is sheer joy !!

Erin said...

That is so cute. I wish they thought out loud all the time. I could read Rex's thoughts over and over.