This morning I woke up at 4:45. Ten minutes later, I snuck Rex out of his bed and carried him out to my already-running car. Halfway there he opened his eyes, and after a few more steps said "Where are you taking me?"
"To see a building explode."
He just digested that silently, half-asleep. I put him in the car and we drove down the hill toward downtown. A few minutes into the ride, he perked up a little more and it hit him where we were headed. I heard him whisper: "Aaaawesome!"
So we got down to my office building, within a four or five block radius that was cordoned off and heavily secured. We recieved our pre-arranged security passes (only for people that work in the buildings in the area) and walked through an underground tunnel to get to my office. We ended up on the 15th floor of the new Key Bank Building, which is where I work. The Matt and Amanda Lewis family was already there, plus a few others. It was still pitch black outside.
Finally, just before 6:30, we congregated in a West-facing office and the sun started brightening up the view. Wish I had taken a "before picture" of the Old Key Bank Building. Too late now. This is what we saw:
You can tell from the gasps and screams that this was far more amazing in person than it is over web video. It was actually incredible- our building shook, and the booms coming from the doomed building were louder than I'd anticipated, sounding a lot like thunder, but closer. Then came the dust cloud:
And here's the reax from the crowd:
Yeah. 4:45 was worth it.

10 comments:
Wow, I thought even the video was incredible. I can't believe that building is just gone. You are a fantastic dad!
Very Memorable! Fun to watch it fall! Thank you!
Ry, thanks so much for the almost front row seat! I agree with Andrea--it was incredible even on viedo.
What an exciting experience for Rex! And how neat to be documenting these great moments of your lives on film. Fantastic!
That was totally wicked! (name that movie) Honestly, that was incredible to watch. You are such a fun dad.
That was WAY better than the TV version. Ryan's enthusiasm was better than the building coming down. I loved it !!
That was hilarious. We were going to wake up and watch it, but I completely spaced it...glad you got it on tape for us.
We were just dying over that video...you was really incredible. We are wondering how someone ever learned to do that without blowing the surrounding building us too. It almost looks like a magic trick
I agree with Julie. The best part WAS actually hearing your excitement, Ry. I know you don't aspire to be cute, but you really were!
Thanks for getting up at 4:45 AM and recording this for us. We really appreciate the eye witness account. Carly and Oliver are only a block away and slept right through it. This is was fun to watch. Go Rex!!
I am just thinking of Macy today! Hope you are hanging in there! Love,Mia
Post a Comment