Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book Recommendations

Winter is the best time for reading together with the kids. Problem is, I have a tough time coming up with the next book as soon as we've put the last one down. Would everyone please weigh in with a few good books to read with the kids? And by the way, we've got thousands of kids' books, so I'm talking about chapter books, the kind you read over several cozy nights together.

As a reminder, we're talking about a six year old boy and four year old girl. They have probably average attention spans and one out with too much dialogue, and focus in when there's animals or fantasy or action. The biggest hits we've had have been Jungle Book and Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach especially). Neither really loved Charlotte's Web (and I agree), and Winnie the Pooh seems to bore them (I don't think they've caught on to 'droll' yet).

Anyway, with that in mind, pleeeeeease give me some recommended books to read with these kids. Desperate to come up with a few good ones to get for Christmas.

Thanks!

8 comments:

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Rikki Tikki Tavi, Where the Red Fern Grows.

The Back Row Pew said...

Heidi, Pollyanna (the classic), Treasure Island, and I agree...Where the Red Fern Grows

Molly said...

I LOVED Roald Dahl as a kid. My favorites were the BJG and Matilda. I never read it, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is fun too. I did love Witches too, but maybe he is too young.

Shannon said...

The best Christmas pageant ever

Elizabeth said...

These have been hits in our house:
Holes
Tale of Despereaux
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
Indian in the Cupboard
Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (although it got a little scary in some parts - my kids are total wimps though.)
Little House on the Prairie
Little House in the Big Woods (this is great because each chapter is like a story unto itself.)

Anyway, I know there are more, but those are off the top of my head. I'm trying figure out books for my kids too. Maybe I'll just steal some of the suggestions you get.

Rebecca said...

They might be a bit old, but Rex might like the Redwall series.

Christian

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

These are some great suggestions, folks. We'll be looking in to all of them, and will make sure to report back on the ones that were hits.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

By the way, Molly, we started the BFG and ended up stopping around half way through. I wasn't really enjoying it, the kids didn't seem to enjoy it, and then there was a long, three-page passage about how giants fart. That sort of sealed the deal.