Seems like every kid can read when they turn two now. People just rush to it, desperate to get their kids reading for pre-school, or maybe for the first birthday party, or whatever. I've never understood it. Maybe it helps a kid to feel like they're ahead of the curve, and the confidence becomes an asset. Or maybe having an extra year of reading . . . nah, sorry, I just don't buy any of it. The desperation to get a good education in pre-school, the intensity of home pre-training, etc., it just kind of makes me sick to my stomach. (I blogged at length about my strange, visceral prejudices against educational elitism a long time ago, a good example of a normally even-tempered person descending into full-on rant mode)
So the skeptic in me has always fought against the educational craziness. I push back, in my own way, with the only weapon I have- Rex. I've been very casual about these external measures of his education, happy to educate him by reading to him and just answering his questions, without any formality or real expectation of measurable advancement. Crazy to use a kid like that as a pawn in my own war of contrariness, but this is an important principle, so he'll understand one day.
Anyway, my bitterness has led to a very laissez-faire attitude when it comes to his progress at reading. Macy is much more on the ball, and also the one that's in tune with what his pre-school was working on, what they want him learning, etc. Further, she stays very well-informed, through her mom, about the developmental stages our kids go through, and what the experts expect of them at a given age. This has meant that Rex has learned letters in the last year or two, learned to spell his name, etc., under the direction of a non-ideological and simply nurturing mother. (and in spite of my scorning nihilism).
All of this is just pretext for what happened tonight. I sat and watched Rex kind of figure out how to read. And what an incredible thrill that was.
He's been able to pick out an odd word here and there, and knows the sounds of most letters. He's even sounded out words with great difficulty, but I've never seen him work out a sentence before. Tonight, he picked up a little book sent home by his Kindergarten teacher-- The Sad Cat. The cat has a top hat. The rat has a red car. The rat had fun. The cat did not. The cat was sad.
And Rex just read the book.
He figured out that it doesn't work to sound out 'the,' and just started recognizing it on sight. He deduced that the strange, non-phonetic word 'was' just needs to be reasoned out, give the context of the sentence. He started reading 'cat' and 'rat' instantly, due to their being repeated in nearly every sentence. He applied reason to the phonetics and letters at every turn, and pushed through word after unfamiliar word. New words he had never encountered in print before- fun, had, did, not, car-- they all became part of his repertoire, things he came to possess and could use. I couldn't believe what a thrill it was to see him say "The . . . e . . . n . . . d . . . . en . . . d . . . end. The end."
The cat had fun. The boy read well. The dad was proud. The dad wondered if he shouldn't perhaps stop making big issues of out nothing and just enjoy the wonder of amazing little kids.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
The Sad Cat
Posted by
Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com
at
8:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Great thoughts, Ry. You know how strong of a preschool advocate I am,.... but only for social reasons. You and Macy did the most important things for Rex to prepare him for school...ie taught him to write his name, helped him recognize letters when he was interested, encouraged his remarkable problem solving skills and most of all, Read to him and he saw both of you reading too...he knew it was important, but you didn't teach him to read and that was GREAT. I know he is ready for Kindergarten and I can just hear him reading that book and I know he'll value reading and school. I've seen too many children that can read at 3 or 4 and they don't have the foundation underneath that they needed to learn in their own time so they aren't strong readers later on. I love it that you held back and held onto his childhood a little longer. It served him well. These are just my thoughts (but by the way research backs them) I love that kid !!
It's so great to have an expert like Julie around! I totally agree. That is so neat Ryan, how exciting. Rex is such a quick study and that's pretty amazing that he just did it on his second week of Kindergarten!!!! Yay, Rex!
Ry,
Fwiw, since I deal directly with Kindergarten applicants to a private school, you are spot on. Most parent-driven educational trends are almost always the wrong thing to do. It is pretty much a truism.
Julie says it so well about the kids who learn to read but don't have the foundation. Our Kindergarten teachers cringe when a proud parent says, "He's been reading since three" because it means that child has missed some critical skills or concepts that they weren't developmentally ready to absorb and so they sort of leap-frogged over it.
Anyway, good for Rex! Smart kid, just like his dad.
I have the same reaction ry. But how nice to have an expert (Julie) around like ange said. That is so cute and amazing. What a sweet well written post about watching the wonders of a young mind.
Rex is seriously one of the smartest kids I have ever come across. Reading isn't everything. I taught a 4 yr old in primary that could full on read the scriptures, but was NOT smart in any other way, esp. socially. I'm with you on letting them figure it out on their own. But, congrats to Rex on reading!
What a story, Ry! I can just imagine what a thrill it must have been to witness. I think though, that it really confirms what you in all your skepticism have thought all along.
I loved Julie's explanation and SO agree. And yay for a nurturing Mom who's worked with Rex in exactly the right way!
I keep forgetting to say how much I love your sidebar. That quote about remote control toys is hilarious, and I loved Lucy's trick of hiding your shoes out on the parking strip. What goes around, comes around I guess!
Thank you all for your comments, especially Julie, for your always-relevant insights on this stuff.
By the way, I just wanted to clarify what I was saying in my post. In re-reading, it looks like I'm saying "I fought the system and did it my way, and now Rex is reading so I proved them all wrong." I was more trying to say "I got caught up in the debate and scoffed at everyone trying to get their kids to read, and then, suddenly when I saw my kid reading, I realized it's just a great feeling to see your kid read, who cares about the politics of it all."
Anyway, if that looked like gloating, or me declaring that I've been proven right or something, that's not what I meant.
That is so great for Rex!! He really is so smart. I love all his curious questions and how observant he is! He seems to seek out learning.
It stresses me out that that he is in kindergarten and reading already. I am missing so much!
Post a Comment