My Mom's family used to have a great tradition, called the Renaldo award. I am not equipped to explain the origin of that word, and will defer to greyer heads who may be able to elucidate in the comments. But the award itself was a traveling prize given each year to the person who did the dumbest thing. We all have funny stories of people in our families doing dumb things. But the Renaldo was a way of memorializing and formalizing these misadventures, making it easier to always remember the stupidity of the recipient, which is clearly a good thing.
I've been thinking for a while now that we need to reinstitute the Renaldo award. Some events in my own life yesterday reminded me of that desire.
On the 24th of July I often show up at the joint Barker-Bell party with a few bottles of pop, some mentos, and a little device that aids insertion of the former into the latter, with explosive results. It's for the kids. Usually it's an uneventful piece of entertainment, with a healthy dose of science tied in too. Last night, things took an interesting turn. While you can't really see the accident well from this footage, Liza did a good job of capturing the moment:
.
What you can't really see there is that after blowing the mentos down into the pop bottle, I took a minute to look directly into the cylinder to verify that the mentos had indeed fallen. With my eye. Open. Somewhat to my surprise, the mentos had fallen when I had blown them in, and started a chemical reaction that released all of the carbon dioxide in the bottle, along with a jetstream of liquid black cherry magma out of the bottle with an immense amount of force. At that moment, my open eye was staring down into the bottle looking at all the pretty bubbles. The soda burst out of the chamber and literally filled my eyelid with pools of burning carbon dioxide with a cool cherry flavor. I never knew I had taste buds in my eyeballs, but I am sure I do, because I tasted that stuff WITH MY EYE. It was the weirdest thing. And it hurt like nothing I've ever felt before. All the kids screamed at the geyser, and I staggered around in the background wondering if I had permanently lost my sight. It was horrible. The carbonated pain only lasted for a few seconds, fortunately, but my sight didn't come back right away. Man, that was a crazy experience. I'm better now.
Anyway, I lay in bed last night thinking about it and just started laughing and laughing at what I had done. So I figured I'd nominate myself.
I'm not really worried. There's enough stupid stuff going with everyone else I know that I doubt I'll be holding the trophy at the end of the year, but I'm definitely proud of my entry. So with this, I announce the opening of nominations for the 2008 Renaldo award. This will not be limited to family, but welcomes any family, friends, and generally, readers of this blog. If you want to nominate someone in that category for something really cool and stupid they have done this year, please do so. What have you got?
On advice of my parents, and good phonetic sense, I've changed the spelling of the award from Ronaldo to Renaldo. Sorry to the commenters below who adopted my original spelling and now look like you mis-spelled it.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Renaldo Returns
Posted by
Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com
at
11:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
LOL. I'm so glad you're okay, I could tell it really threw you for a minute there. I'm so excited that you've re-opened the Ronoldo awards. I'll be thinking!
LOL. Your description was even funnier than the video. I wish I would have gotten more close up so I could have seen the awaiting catastrophe. so funny. I am sure too you wont be holding the title for long, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure we'll have some more gems like that.
Oh man. Man oh man. That is so freaking funny. The best part of it is watching the little kids gather around the bottle while "stagger" around wondering if you're blind. It's funny being an adult when you get hurt, because unlike when you're a little kid, you try to be subtle about it and act like everything's ok when secretly you're thinking "I am going to die."
Can you imagine a suckier way to lose an eye? For the rest of your life, you have a glass eye, and people inevitably ask, and you have to tell them, "Mentos and cherry coke." Geez.
I have a good nomination, and was about to write it in a comment, but I'm going to write a post.
A great cause, Ry, but nonetheless a truly worthy nomination. People have prostheses for doing less dangerous things than that.
Great re-telling, Ry--I agree w/Eliza. So glad your pain didn't last. My favorite part: "I tasted it WITH MY EYE." Wow, that's crazy!
Ryan, after reading the story, the video was way too painful to watch.
Seriously, I'm glad you still have your eye. Does cherry coke (?)taste different when you taste it through your eye? Glad you're okay.
Lol! That is so funny. We heard all about the gizzer (sp?) excitement but nothing about your eye. Goes to show what Rex and Lucy were concerned about...the height of the soda! Lol.
I specifically asked Rex and Lucy about the Pop Bottle fireworks and they just raved. I'm glad your sight came back....we don't want to buy you a white cane. I love the story of the Ronoldo Award. I'm sure we can all think of something. I know I could think of a dozen and one incidents.
I watched that 5 times and burst out laughing every single time. So funny. Glad you put your open eyeball right over it.
Excellent Ry. You might say the Ronaldos are back with a bang. I second your motion. Glad your eye is ok!
haha, oh man! I wanted to do that, because my mom had told me about it, and there are no fireworks in sight in NY. I thought this would be a good alternative, I will take note and back away from the bottle.
wow. you win. and it's even more funny because it was you, ryan, of all people.
Could you perform this at the next family reunion??
Post a Comment