Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Growing

I returned from a business trip a few weeks ago to find that my son had grown some while I was gone. He looked bigger. I told him it made me sad, and asked him to please stop.

He said "I can't." Then, sensing a teaching opportunity, he gave me a sad, sympathetic smile and said, pausing between each word, "Dad, Growing is life."

* * * * *

On another business trip this week, I received a report that my son, soccer-lover extraordinaire, had absolutely refused to go to day 1 of soccer camp. 'Too many kids;' 'I can practice in my back yard;' 'they don't even play real games there': it was scary.

On the morning of day 2, I called him. "Rex, are you going to go to soccer camp today?" "I don't know, too many kids, they don't even play real games there . . . etc."

"Rex, what did you tell me about growing a while ago?"

pause.

"Growing is life."

"That's right, Rex. And how do we grow?"

"Exercise?"

"Yep. We challenge ourselves, right?"

"Yes. We have to do hard things."

"That's right. Do you want to grow?"

"Yes."

"Because growing is life, right?"

"Yes."

"Can you challenge yourself and go to soccer camp today? If you do, you will grow."

"Okay. I can."

And he did.

I woke up in my own bed the morning of day 3. Rex crawled into bed and cuddled with me for a while. Then Macy told him to go up and get ready for soccer camp. He jumped out of our bed, ran upstairs, and got ready. His ride had picked him up before I was out of bed.

Rex had done some more growing while I was gone.

This time I didn't ask him to stop.



*Okay, to be honest, Rex's change in attitude might have had something to do with his mom's patient encouragement, her accompanying him to soccer camp and staying the whole time, her wise marshaling of a few good buddies to go along with him, and the many conversations they had about it while I was off on my own adventures. But what are those things compared to a two-minute phone call from a distant dad?

8 comments:

Andrea W. said...

Oh, what a cute post, Ry. I love the picture too and the small print. Your interaction with him was so sweet and sometimes it's frustrating as the Mom who does so much prep and working with and talking and stewing that all it really is a 2 minute conversation with Dad and it's fixed. Fortunately the Dad's for our kids are pretty accessible and mostly we're grateful there's a fix.

The Back Row Pew said...

Great life lesson and picture of Rex looking pretty GROWN up.

Eliza said...

oh my crap thank goodness you posted! seriously I was dying for some new stuff and not only was it a new post but the cutest one ever! Rex seriously amazes me at how inquisitive and analytical he is, but not only that but he's able to communicate those thoughts into clear concepts. unbelievable. And so true about the mom/dad thing that's what is so great about having two of you, you're able to make up for each others weaknesses/strengths. Anyway, such a sweet story. loved it and keep it up, puhlease!

Rebecca said...

Finally! A post out of the SLC Bells! What a cute post. You guys are such incredible parents. What sweet stories and teaching opportunities.

Braden Bell said...

Fantastic, Ry--the fathering AND the elegant write-up. Glad you're back.

Ali said...

that is so funny. i love his intensity on soccer. I can actually hear dad saying those same statements..funny!

Erin said...

Sweet post Ryan. Rex is always growing and lucky for him he has two great parents to help him along the way.

Mama Mia said...

so cute and I love the picture!