Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stunts

Rex and I have been spending more and more time out on the tramp making up and doing trampoline tricks. It's kind of weird, because it's honestly something we're doing where he's clearly better than me. I sort of thought I had another 10 years until that kind of thing started happening, but oh well. The parity has its advantages though- playing soccer with a five year old is fun, but not exactly athletically challenging. Trying to keep up with Rex on the tramp, though, that's a whole different story.

Anyway, here's some video of our stunt man.


Rex Stunts 1 from Ryan on Vimeo.


Rex Stunts 2 from Ryan on Vimeo.

After I taped Rex doing his stuff, he wanted to tape me. I am usually too modest to show off my sweetest tricks, but it would be selfish to hold back this action from you:


Ryan trick from Ryan on Vimeo.

And yeah, if it looks like that wasn't sufficiently daring, just keep in mind that that's the same guy who bounced back from breaking his STERNUM on a trampoline. If you think you can do better, first break your STERNUM, then pop off. Yeah, I thought so.

19 comments:

Andrea W. said...

Very cute. Rex is way coordinated! Ry, well, good for you. :)

Macy said...

LOL!! So funny Ry. Ryan had me come out to watch him do his back flip, and I could tell when I wasn't completely blown away he was kind of miffed. LOL!

Nice job, Rexy. HE has become such a trampoline boy...always has new tricks to show, and is really good too.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Miffed that you weren't blown away? Or miffed that when I landed it perfectly and looked up at you, you were staring at something off in the distance somewhere? Hmmm?

Molly said...

lol...you don't realize how small that tramp is until you see Ryan on it! hehe...I love the bell tramp...its some of the best exercise I have had in years...rex never stops!

Eliza said...

lol ry and macy, josh would be fully sympathetic to your cause ry, if I don't rave enough about him in one of his many sports he excels at, I'm in big trouble! but actually I was really impressed ry, b/c my tricks are limited to a "bum" and a "knee", pretty awesome,huh? oh and I had no idea you broke your sternum, for reals, you did??? oh and rex is amazing!!!

Erin said...

Wow! The kid's got skills. And Ryan... well maybe we should leave the big tricks to Rex.

Ali said...

The cartwheel without hand is real impressive!

Jo said...

Wow Rex-- that's so amazing! And you're so brave. Those tricks would scare me to death.

Ry, I didn't remember you breaking your sternum either--when was that? I was impressed with your trick, but please be careful. Your back would be worse. (Sorry--once a mom, always a mom)

Mama Mia said...

All of those gymnastic lessons are paying off! Love all the tricks!

Josh said...

Rex has some sweet moves! Its not fair that the Law's of physics play a big part in us big guys not excelling at the trampoline. Ry's center of gravity is 3 ft higher off the ground than Rex's.

Greg said...

Awesome to you both. Very well done. Rex, you have natural ability and courage. Keep it up. I love the way you throw yourself into that handless cartwheel. Really, really neat!
Ry, daring indeed.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

"Miffed that you weren't blown away? Or miffed that when I landed it perfectly and looked up at you, you were staring at something off in the distance somewhere? Hmmm?"

lolol. Hard not to marry ravers after being raised by parents who, while your brother might make "why the long face" jokes, might praise you for being so aerodynamic. Very useful in biking or swimming! I could become the president and it wouldn't impress Reba very much.

Anyway, wasn't able to watch the vids, but i'm excited to see them.

Be warned though. I used to be a backflip expert on a tramp. Was a pro at many in a row, doing them straight up, or moving forward while doing them (gainer).It's the funnest physical motion. Then one night in college I was on a first date with a girl. We were jumping on the tramp at my house in the dark of night. I went to do a routine backflip and in midair I realized something was off. It felt like I was flying too far back (as opposed to up and down). This was confirmed when I landed half way on the bar and half way off the tramp. Thought I had broken my leg, and was very lucky I didn't. Thinking this was anomolous, and wanting to get back on the horse before i lost the motion, a few days later I had a sturdy room mate stand off the edge of the tramp to spot me if I went back to far. I did and this time almost killed 2 of us. That was the end of my backflip career. Make sure you go straight up.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

wow, sorry for the length. Might as well have just made that comment a post on my blog. Consider it a guest post.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

I am grateful for the support of our male commenters, who understand the physics of girth, though not at the levels that govern my own journeys between earth and space. But Josh is right- adjusting for center of gravity, build, fear of mortality, and cellulite, it's not hard to see that my tricks are every bit as impressive as Rex's. He seems to understand this intuitively, though it's clearly lost on Macy, who prefers to watch a squirrel in one of our trees over my well-executed back flip.

Kook, good comments. Back flips are really cool to do, and also really disorienting, enough that you always run the risk of serious injury. Our tramp is luckily netted all around, so I'm not going to fly off it, but that also increases the risk that one of these days I'm just going to land on Rexy and squash him like a rotten cantaloupe. I think he understands the spirit of these events well enough to take it in stride if that ever happens.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

And we would love to have you guest blog on this topic. In fact, I may just go ahead and post your comment as a main post on the front page, with your permission. These are important issues.

Rebecca said...

Wow, impressive!

Brad K. said...

Good job you guys but I wouldn't mind seeing a peanut roll or two.

Rex, those side flips were sick.

The Back Row Pew said...

Great Job Rex and Ry... That trampoline is great exercise for all.

davis@dontdodumbthings.com said...

So, awesome stunts. It was sort of hard to focus on them, though, given the fact that either A. You were in a wind tunnel, B. You are the loudest breather on the earth.