Every Sunday, the kids run into sacrament meeting carrying several pieces of paper each, their Primary work product. They are always so excited to show us what they made or drew or colored or cut out during the previous two hours, and we love seeing their stuff. But we don't usually come to church equipped to deal with the document retention issues their output demands. Usually, their drawings get stuffed quickly into the brutally overstuffed 'church bag,' along with 12 ziploc bags full of half-eaten snacks from previous weeks (a close analysis indicates that the raisins and the fishies are the snacks most likely to be left behind), 11 broken crayons, 3 dry markers, two never-used puppets, hundreds of sacrament meeting programs and several activity booklets and sketch pads. There, these precious records of budding artistry are smashed and crumpled and defaced and, ultimately, forgotten.
Which is just a long way of saying that tonight I cleaned out the church bag, and here are some of the invaluable artifacts I unearthed, captioned with the artist's commentary on each:
Rex: They said to draw Heaven. That's Jesus. Next to him is red berries on a bush. Next to that is a tree with two purple berries. In the air there are some M's. (Are you sure they're not birds?) Oh, yeah, they're birds. It has a yellow sky, because I think Heaven has a yellow sky.
Lucy: This is Jesus. He has some butterflies and some flowers. In Church I did it, and Miss Julie telled me to do it. And we put stickers on it. I liked the butterfly under his chin. And these are his eyes, the flowers are. I think it's pretty. I like him.
Lucy: This is a guy that's a moon and he has feet and he can walk. (The words say you are thankful for the earth). Yeah, it's the earth. I made it purple. I like it like that. I put some pink right here in the middle. I drawed it at our church. It has feet.
Rex: This is Molly June. It's when she has big legs and she can walk, and big arms. She has lots of hair, and has a curl on her forehead. And has my name on it, to Molly June.
Rex: This is me and Pop Pop playing football. But I didn't draw the football. (Isn't that blue thing the football?) No. (What is it?) I don't know. There's grass. (Pop Pop is on the left, Rex is on the right).
Rex: I wanted to color it really good so first I did one side green but it didn't work so I did it red. I did the other side red, I did the whole top blue. I did the top of the T blue, and the straight line of the t blue. Then R line, pink, then on the curl of the R, red. Then on the little line of the R, blue. And the T top is blue, green on the straight line, and blue right here, yellow, red, orange, pink, green, and dark green. And my name. (Is T-Rex your name?) Yeah. I wanted to make it beautiful. And I drawed the outside blue.
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Primary Documents
Posted by
Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com
at
8:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I love the commentary. Dang, your kids are cute.
So great! I can't stop giggling at "there are M's in the sky". So cute.
darling! I love love the commentary. the m's in the sky was dang cute, but I loved lucy saying that "I think its pretty. I like him (Jesus)." wow so dang cute!
Ryan, what a treasure! I saved some pictures of my little kids, but the commentary is just priceless!!!
I love the moom with feet, and the M's in the sky, and find it interesting that he so purposefully put two different kinds of berries in Heaven--I'm for that! Also, the intricate coloring on the CTR symbol is amazing.
I am impressed that Ryan is cleaning out the CHURCH BAG! I was laughing because he basically summed up my bag as well...except I have yet to go through it. Darling art work!
I love the breakdown of the church bag as well. Sounds just like ours, only the left over snack seems to be trail mix.
Lol...great reminder to clean out ours. I love lucy's pic of Jesus...The butterfly=bow tie, flowers=eyes...she is so funny
They are so funny...Rex is such a character, love them.
Priceless, Ryan!! What a dad you are.
You have now preserved priceless memories and you can throw them away. Do you print off your blog pages? Mia does and has it in a notebook with plastic page covers. This has become her scrapbooking!
Beth,
We actually found a service that will turn our blog into a really nice, hard-bound book with not too much difficulty. I recommend that to anyone who's blogging. We have our first volume out already, and it's been fun to have.
I love their art work and commentary on what they drew. Your church time is so entertaining.
Post a Comment