Friday, January 18, 2008

Lucisms



Lucy appears to have a gift for neologisms that far surpasses her dad's when he was a kid. She makes up words and phrases with creativity, perceptiveness, and most importantly, supreme confidence. It's the confidence that makes a new word go over really smooth, and may even give it sticking power. And this girl . . . has GOT it.

A partial list (and remember to insert a hard lisp on anything approaching an 's'):

Santa's little helper is an "elb." "Mom, look, there's Santa, and there are his elbs. I lub elbs."

Lucy loves to watch Leinsteins. That means she loves to watch a show called "Little Einsteins." She's just smart enough to know that some of those syllables in the title are superfluous.

Tonight Lucy asked if we wanted to play Vaminos. She was pointing to a box of dominoes, but also alluding implicitly to a favorite phrase of Dora the Explorer's- "vamo-nos." So in our house, we play Vaminos now. Pretty much the same as dominoes, but with a bit of Spanish flair. Much more fun.

Lucy is also very supportive of our new year's resolution to read the Book of Morning nightly as a family. It's odd that we do it at night, but being a part of this family conditions one early to live with contradiction.

She also has a designated hidingsinkout. A hidingsinkout is the hideout one uses while playing hidingsink. And hers is a good one. It's behind a floor lamp. A very good hidingsinkout.

And my personal favorite. When a sporting event of some sort is on the TV, Lucy usually doesn't pay attention (it's a boy show!). But there's one thing that can make her perk up and follow closely: "Cherlers! Dad, did you see the cherlers! I lub cherlers!" Given that her mom was a cherler in high school, I suppose it's a natural affinity.

Lucy heard me laughing when Macy told me another of her Lucisms the other day. She stood up on the couch and grabbed my face with her two hands and smiled and said "Dad, do you laugh about me?" And it's true- we're not laughing at her, we're laughing about her!

10 comments:

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

P.S. Tell me that top picture doesn't look like cousin Abby? I've been saying this for years, guys.

Rebecca said...

No, it doesn't look like Abby. Lucy is so cute! I love all the little lucisms!

Andrea W. said...

Ryan, she's always reminded me so much of Anna with her coloring and her tiny little features, but I am starting to see more of a resemblance to Abby.

So cute, did she get her haircut again? I love it! Those pictures are undescribably darling. I love the "b" instead of "v" thing and can't get enough of the lisp. She is so dang smart and perceptive thank goodness she has those small traces of being just 3. So cute.

Macy said...

Yes, I did get her haircut last week. Another Lucy outing while Rex was gone to D-land. It turned out so cute.


Although both darling girls. I don't really see the resemblance to Abby either.

Molly said...

I don't really see an Abby thing going either...although it would be fun to see pictures next to each other! Cute Lucisms! We love that girl!

Ali said...

Cute cute..I miss those hearing that little funny voice! I love "laugh about me".... I'm using it now.

The Back Row Pew said...

Lucy just makes me smile and to me.....she looks like her mom.

Jo said...

I have to agree with Julie-- Lucy reminds me so much of Macy. Adorable how she so confidently makes up her own neologisms--whatever in the heck they are!

Ally said...

Lucy is so stinkin CUTE!! You luckies with your angel darlings, just cut me to the core!! Joseph used to think the song was "Give Seth a Little Stream" so we had to sing the song multiple times inserting everyones name. Ahh.. the simple joy of their humor and LOVE!

Anonymous said...

That is the cute thing ever---girl and sayings!!!