In the middle of sacrament meeting, Rex looks up from his action figures, and says, with kind of a resigned, world-weary tone: "Dad, church is tiring, but it's the best thing to do."
***
Rex: Dad, is this in real life?
Dad: What?
Rex: I mean, am I having a dream right now, or is this in real life?
***
***
Rex: Dad, is this in real life?
Dad: What?
Rex: I mean, am I having a dream right now, or is this in real life?
***
***
(after a discussion where Rex told me the opposites of a few different things) Rex: Dad, I know the opposite of almost everything.
Dad: Really? Then what is the opposite of almost everything?
Rex: (pause) Almost nothing.
***
One morning Macy told Rex that if he didn't hurry and get ready and make his bed, he wouldn't be able to go to school. Rex was fighting back and amping up the drama. Finally, when he failed to accomplish his tasks, Macy told him school wasn't going to happen that day.
He choked back tears and screamed at her: Mom, if you don't let me go to school, then I'll never learn anything, and then I'm going to be STUPID!
***
Lucy: Dad, sometimes, when I'm sad, I miss Tenley.
***
Lucy (singing): "We all live in a Yellow Sumparee . . . "
***
***
Lucy: Hey Dad, did you know I'm good at stabbing people?
Rex's prayer last night: Heavenly Father, thank you that we could have a good Remorial Day. Thank you that we could go play at the gym. But it's just a little bit more fun when we get to do Remorial Day at the park in Morgan, so maybe next time you could help it not to rain so we can do that instead."
***
Dad: Rex, did you know we're going to do a talent show with my family? I was thinking that for your talent you could . . .
Rex: Oh yeah, Nate and I already talked about this, and we decided what we want to do.
Dad: ??
Rex: Nate has a light saber like mine and we're going to do a big light saber fight. But I need to tell him we aren't going to stab each other until the end. And maybe we should have only one person die. And maybe . . . (on and on).
***
Dad: Lucy, what are you going to do for your talent at the talent show?
Lucy: I don't know.
Rex: Lucy, me and Nate are going to do a light saber fight.
Lucy: Well I could stab people. I am good at that.
Rex: Yeah, she really is, Dad. She can stab people really good with my light saber.
Lucy: Yeah, I am good at it.
Dad: Hmm.
***
Dad: Rex, did you know we're going to do a talent show with my family? I was thinking that for your talent you could . . .
Rex: Oh yeah, Nate and I already talked about this, and we decided what we want to do.
Dad: ??
Rex: Nate has a light saber like mine and we're going to do a big light saber fight. But I need to tell him we aren't going to stab each other until the end. And maybe we should have only one person die. And maybe . . . (on and on).
***
Dad: Lucy, what are you going to do for your talent at the talent show?
Lucy: I don't know.
Rex: Lucy, me and Nate are going to do a light saber fight.
Lucy: Well I could stab people. I am good at that.
Rex: Yeah, she really is, Dad. She can stab people really good with my light saber.
Lucy: Yeah, I am good at it.
Dad: Hmm.

11 comments:
Fantastic stuff!!! These kids of your do not lack for imagination and just pure smarts.
Hilarious. Totally random, too. I'm excited to see this light saber fight- sounds like it's going to be exciting!
lol...Lucy? Stabbing people? I don't think so! Not Luc!! Your kids are crazy...and I think its all the bell in them!!
Ryan, a treasure. Those minds are rich. And to think that we only hear a fraction of the quotable things that go on in there. You are so good to record and share these. Priceless!! Rex and Lucy, I love you both so much.
Sorry to double up here, but I had to comment about Rex's comment about "almost nothing". It is perfectly logically and linguistically parallel. There is a fine mind at work. Even if you don't let him go to school he won't be stupid.
wow, great stuff, where on earth do they come up with it? My favorite was the "remorial" day prayer, so cute and thoughtful. can't wait to see the light saber fight and lucy's awesome skills at stabbing people.
I love Rex's opposite of Almost Everything....incredible!! The wheels ARE turning in his brain every single second.
Yeah, Lize, me too. The stabbing thing has come up so many times now, I'm just dying to see what it's about. Both Rex and Lucy agree that it's an obvious talent for her, and they say so with complete confidence in the specialness of the performance. We may not unveil it until the actual talent show, and just all see together for the first time the gift she has. We may honestly be amazed by how good she is at stabbing.
And Dad, I was also blown away by Rex's opposite of "Almost everything." That one really took me by surprise.
Oh m'gosh, those are precious quotes! Cute, funny, sweet, sincere, smart, revelatory. Wow! Thanks for sharing!
p.s. Wonder who will receive the nod to be Lucy's talent show performance partner (victim)?
Rex equals=ORIGINAL! Lucy equals= DELIGHTFUL!
Whats with the school comment from Greg?!
Post a Comment